Monday, April 7, 2014

Wartime West Sussex 1939-45

This evening while taking a pleasurable stroll across the Ethernet (aka doing a Google search on trivial matters), I stumbled upon the website for West Sussex County Council in England. Honestly, like all good Google searchers, I have no idea how I got there but was pleasantly surprised to find their section on Wartime West Sussex 1939-45. I love these kind of websites, where I get lost looking at diaries, photos, and all sorts of fascinating historical tidbits that help me appreciate and better visualize what life was like back then.

The D-Day, air raids, home guard, and many other sections are fascinating. Neat audio interviews abound. From their website: "These pages have over 700 digitised sources about life in West Sussex during World War II. They include photos, official leaflets, book extracts, newspaper articles, letters, diaries, original records and recorded memories." They also have a section on Victorian life, but it pales in comparison.

Check it out!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you like it, Paul!

    --Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaguely connected comment...Apparently they are remaking Dad's Army (or talking about it?) with a new cast...should give a boost to the subject?

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that, Hugh. Thanks for the heads up! I used to watch the show a long time ago when it ran on our local PBS station.

      Delete