Monday, September 8, 2014

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is Back!!!

Starting last night at 10pm, I entered Spy-Fi heaven and will be there every Sunday evening via my DVR. What is spy-fi heaven for me? Why just take a look at the banner image and give it a click. Here in the US (not sure about the rest of the world), the MeTV network is showing the classic spy-fi television series The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Growing up in the 60s, I was a Cold War spy-fi show and movie junkie. (Back then, my dad was a real life spy with the CIA and traveled the world for months on end, though he always denied that he was a spy of course.) I loved many of those shows. They fueled my young imagination. But UNCLE always had a special place for me. Though I hated to read (ironic considering that I'm now an English instructor), I loved my UNCLE novels and comic books.

I've been waiting since the 1970s to see the show again. Now I get to watch it with my son, which will be a blast. Last night was the first episode, which is fairly weak. If you missed it, Amazon Prime Streaming shows it for free.

Gaming Spy-Fi
So if I love(loved) those shows, why not game spy-fi? Oh trust me. That is something I have been longing to do for a long time, but I was still trying to get over my dad's death at the time. Spy stuff is so tied up with my memories of him. But late this summer I finally came to terms with his passing away. It was like I suddenly woke up from a three-year slumber. Anyway...

As for rules, I've been sitting on the 7TV rulebook and some expansions for a while now. I also have most of the 1980's Victory Games James Bond RPG books. I have a bunch of Pulp rules as well. So I got that covered. I just have to decide what scale miniatures.

I love the 28mm figures out there, of which there are many possibilities. I like them all, but cost can be off putting. For example, Crooked Dice miniatures are great but a bit expensive at times. I came within a cat's whisker of buying the entire Copplestone Kiss Kiss Bang Bang line the last time he ran a sale on it, but I was not emotionally ready to go there at the time. Terrain in 28mm also is always a bug-a-boo, not so much the cost but the space needed for storage. But the figures are so cool. Ah...the classic dilemma!

I like 15mm figures, but it seems there is a limited selection out there. Khurasan has their small spy-fi line that they just don't seem to be expanding. I'd have to research 15mm spy-fi figures more, but I imagine it would be harder than doing 28mm. Any suggestions here would be welcome.

So we'll see what happens. I need a fresh new project to work on so I can get out of my rut. (Ok, I have my 15mm Quar to work on but you know what I mean.)

4 comments:

  1. I disagree about Copplestone/Artizan and Crooked Dice being Expensive. You would only need a few packs to start you off with 7TV and they are priced far cheaper than certain other miniature makers.

    Don't forget men in suits can be found in many ranges. Check out ebay and other mini makes such as Hasslefree that do special characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are right, Simon, about the prices. I was wrong and stand corrected! For example, the 7TV henchmen starter packs makes them quite reasonable at $3 each for quality figures. Some of the characters are $4.50 but it sure beats the prices of many resin figures out there.

    The Kiss Kiss Bang Bang tends to be more my angle for the 1960s spy-fi vibe. The 7TV seem to be mostly cult British sci-fi shows, with some useful spy figures tossed in as well, especially the henchmen. I like the Killer B 1970s figures as well, but they are a different vibe than the 60s spy-fi.

    I'll take a pop over to Hasselfree as well. I've never really looked there much. Thanks for the heads up. Foundry might be worth a look also.

    Lots of choices in 28mm it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to watch 1970's reruns of Man from U.N.C.L.E. when I was a kid. I loved that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris. I recorded the show last night and will watch it later this week when I can set aside some "special time" to enjoy it. In some ways, showing it only once a week instead of every night is making it easier to watch since I won't fall behind. The 1960s TV wiki page is a treasure trove of great shows. (I'm also on an Adam-12 kick on Netflix right now, but that is another story. No, I won't be gaming Adam-12. LoL.)

      Delete