Friday, June 27, 2014

Rapiercon 2014: Flames of War Tournament

Goodbye 20mm WWII -- We Hardly Knew Ye
Some of you probably noticed that several weeks ago I was posting about leaving 15mm WWII skirmish gaming for 20mm WWII skirmish gaming. I had purchased a platoon of 20mm AB Americans and had begun painting them. Overall, they were nice figures. Surprisingly, I hated painting them! I realized that I would rather be painting 28mm figures, where I can really have fun painting detail on a small number of figures, or painting 15mm or smaller figures, where I don't have to worry about details and can paint with more speed while still feeling good about my work. 20mm just was the worst of all worlds for me.

When we got back to Rapiercon late in the afternoon, we stumbled upon the Flames of War tournament in a corner of the con hotel. I don't play FoW, but was excited to see all the 15mm game tables. They were a great inspiration for my skirmish gaming. Of course, earlier in the day I had taken all my miniatures and games back to our hotel down the road. Now I could have used my Peter Pigs to see how they compared to the various buildings other than my Landmark buildings, which are smaller true 1:100 scale. Oh well. Such is life!

The fellows we spoke with in the FoW room were friendly, happily chatting about the various buildings on the tables and FoW gaming. Jeremy lamented that we didn't play FoW because we probably would have had fun playing (and most likely losing to) most of the fellows there. I knew he was right. It felt like a whole different con in that room.










5 comments:

  1. Glad you like it, Jay. Lots of 15mm goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Flames of War the game where a squad of infantry walking through an open field has a better chance of surviving an artillery barrage than a Tiger I tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally laughed out loud when I read your comment this morning! :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you like the blog! I noticed your bad link to your Violet Studio Paint blog, so here is the correct link for it. http://violetpaint.blogspot.it/ I really like your painting. Your figures are small works of art. Folks should check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.