Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Down in Flames: WWII - Guns Blazing

I love card games, which is an understatement. I also love WWII  fighters and bombers, which is why I have a large collection of Wings of War/Glory WWII planes and built many of the models back in the day. When I stumbled on Down in Flames: WWII - Guns Blazing, it immediately grabbed my attention. I was lucky enough to buy a new copy off a fellow for the price of Priority Mail, saving me a ton of money. After all, the game retails for $60, with Cool Stuff selling it for $40. I'm looking forward to trying this out. I'll probably bring it with me to Rapiercon in Jacksonville in a couple weeks.

From DVG's website: "Down In Flames places each player in the cockpit of a fighter as they enter combat against other aircraft. By playing cards, you gain advantageous positions on your targets, fire your guns, and send them down in flames! The game is based on a unique action-reaction card mechanic. Each card can be countered by specific other cards. At the bottom of every card is the list of cards it is allowed to cancel. This makes for exciting card play back and forth between players."

I like that the game has planes and scenarios from the start of the war over France to North Africa and Malta to the Eastern Front to the end of the war. Plenty of variety with top-notch production. The map boards are thick cardboard; I originally thought they were paper.

See Boardgame Geek's Down in Flames page for reviews and more info, check out DVG's website for more info on the game and the Down in Flames series.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, CP. Looking forward to dog-fight-report. Hey...enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ready to begin enjoying the summer! :-)

    I'll be sure to post some reports about the game.

    ReplyDelete

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.