Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Cheap l'Art de la Guerre Ancients Rules & Other Things

If you were to come to my house and sit down in my game room, which to be honest is dominated by my son's massive collection of board games, you would notice my bookcases directly behind me. One bookcase contains my Lego book collection, but that's another hobby for another day. The bookcase next to my Lego bookcase, on the shelves below the binders of my Magic the Gathering collection and other CCG's, sits my collection of miniature gaming rule books. Looking at them, I realize how small that collection looks compared to everything else in this room!

A Few of My Favorite Games
My current favorite miniature games are Gaslands: Refueled, Lion Rampant, Dragon Rampant, Black Cross/Blue Sky, Napoleon's Battles, and the entire Warmaster series. I still need a good rule set for my large Western and Gothic collection. (I've come to a point where I don't want to spend the years I have left trying to reinvent the wheel with my own set of rules.) Same for my WWII collection. I'll probably use Bolt Action with the latter.

I just realized that I need to post some photos of a fantastic Gaslands game from last year. Another fellow put on two different games using 3D-printed scenery and other cobbled bits. They were awesome. I went on a thrift shop binge and bought a ton of old Hot Wheels and Matchboxes for the game. I need to work on them! I'll make that post later this week.

Finally, the Point of this Post
I want to call attention to an ancients game that has been around for a while but was translated into English a few years ago: l'Art de la Guerre by Hervé Caille. Perhaps some of you have heard of it? It's a 240-page, full-color, all-in-one book covering everything from the dawn of time through the Late Middle Ages on every continent other than Antarctica, from what I can tell. In the US, it sells for $42.

I never gave the game much thought because it was always out of stock. As soon as a print run hit the shelves here in the US, it was sold out. It's sold out now. A few weeks ago, Hervé graciously made the book available in PDF for only 5 Euros. It cost me around $7.50 after PayPal fees. That is dirt cheap! You can buy it from the ADLG website here.

I highly recommend it, especially at 5 Euros for the PDF. In the future when I post an army for WMA, I most likely will create an army for ADLG as well. I'm looking at going back and converting some of my other ancient sets to ADLG as well, since it would take little work.

What's Next?
Next set will be another enemy for the Late Romans--the Sassanid Persians. I'm almost done with it, thanks to images from Gripping Beast's 28mm range.

With all the game conventions being cancelled, we'll be hosting our own ultra-mini four-day convention next week. (It's a fun way to use some of our Hilton Rewards points!) From the "chatter" I've been picking up, I think I'm going to get pulled into playing a game of Star Wars: Legion from Fantasy Flight Games or Shadespire from GW. Or I could be totally surprised. I know I'll be running some Funkoverse games (imagine the Joker and T-Rex chasing The Golden Girls around their house.) I'll be sure to take photos. Hey, I'm getting back into the swing of this blog thing!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Just to let anyone who isn't aware know - Version 4 of ADLG is due for release on 19th April 2021. The ADLG website has links to stockists and it is available for pre-order (£30.00 + £3.50 postage from the UK stockist, presumably similar elsewhere). I'm sure it will sell fast!
    Regards, F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me/us know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i would love to buy the pdf of these rules as that is a price i can afford, and i dont mind if its an older version - i went on the website and couldnt find it though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately he stopped offering it when the new edition came out.

      Delete
    2. oh damn, that is a shame, i would be more than happy with just a pdf of the 3rd edition rules. Far too expensive to get the physical book posted to australia

      Delete

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.