Monday, June 30, 2008

Fly's Studio: Part 5 - Exterior Wood

In case you are just joining us, this series of articles chronicles my real-time adventures preparing and painting Old Glory's Fly's Studio from their OK Corral series of 25mm Western buildings. Because the entire process is an experiment, you'll get to see my successes and mistakes along the way. To see the entire series of articles, click on the Fly's Studio link.

This installment details painting the base coat on the wooden exterior walls. I'm trying to make a building that looks uncared for on the sides but looks good from the street, just like many real boomtown buildings did.

Step 1: Drybrush Americana Burnt Umber
Using my soft cat's tongue brush, I gave all the exterior walls a heavy drybrushing of burnt umber, which is a dark brown color. Because I plan on painting the facade a buff color with deep green trim, I left it black. Remember to drybrush the wood behind the roof's facade, along the roof, and behind the roof.


At first, I ignored the doors and windows. I figured I would drybrush them with a green, so I really didn't need to bother painting them brown. After some thought, I realized I wanted some of the wood's aged brown to show through, so I quick drybrushed the trim burnt umber as well. I also drybrushed the wood on the porch roof sides but realized that I had wasted my time. Later, I will paint the wood the same color as the facade. Oh well. Live and learn.


Finally, I drybrushed the interior floor and porch burnt umber as well. In later installments, you will see my frustration painting the floor. Like I mention in the introduction, you will get to see my success as well as mistakes. Luckily, some mistakes work out for the better!


Final Thoughts
If you like, you can stop right here and have a nice looking building. All you would have to do is finish the roof, facade, interior walls, and doors. Of course, I didn't stop here. In Part 6, I'll show how I painted the trim a faded "vomit green" (my son's description) and gave the building a more weathered look, with individually worn boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.