Saturday, November 2, 2013

Rubble: Now You See It, Now You Don't

When I first worked on the bases for my Black Tree Design Soviets, I wanted some of them to look as if they were standing in rubble, like in Stalingrad street fighting. To achieve that look, I tried plopping down some piles of rocks on a few of the bases. You know, I never really liked how they turned out. For example, every time I saw the one figure, which is slightly bending down and forward over a pile of pinkish rocks, I kept thinking he looked as if he had just taken plotz, the rocks being the plotz. So I decided to plow over my attempt at rubble, so to speak. Below are the before and after shots. In the future, if I want to make rubble I think I'll use some bricks instead of plotzed rocks.


Before:
"Yo, Ivan! I know you're scared, but quit plotzing rocks!"

After:
"Da, that's much better!"


Before:
"So this puny rubble will give me a +1 Soft Cover bonus?"

After:
"I don't need Soft Cover bonuses to kill Nazi fascists!"

Posted Just Because He's Cool:
"I once had a medal this big..."

8 comments:

  1. I think the trick with rubble is to vary the texture; some brick, some small rocks, etc. I've never pulled it off convincingly either, but when I've seen it work, that seems to be the key.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing. It seems making rubble is an art form that's hard to master!

      Delete
  2. Definitely the AFTER is more exciting. Nice painting. And the personal interactive touches are entertaining. You are on a roll, CP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jay. I seem to have the most fun creating titles and photo captions.

      Delete
  3. Does look a bit improved - and I think I've learned a new term - plotz! Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My greatest pleasure in life comes from increasing the vocabulary of others. :-)

      Delete
  4. They look great. And I love your photo captions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the captions. I got a kick out of writing them. :-)

      Delete

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.