Thursday, May 7, 2020

Warmaster Fantasy - Wood Elves Counter Set Revised

Wood Elves have acquired an instinctive cunning and stealth, and have developed a healthy suspicion of strangers and a distrust of any unnatural. They shun contact with other races and show no mercy to those who invade their realm with malicious intent or who do damage through sheer ignorance or foolishness. They have become the guardians of the forest. -- Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves (4th Edition, 1996)

Games Workshop never released Wood Elves in 10mm, but in 2002 that didn't stop me from creating a set of Wood Elves counters for Warmaster. I based the set on the Wood Elves army list created by Rob Atkins. It was printed in Warmaster Magazine #8 in 2001. It was the first Wood Elves army list but has been relegated to the dust bin of outdated army lists.

Today, players have two Wood Elves army lists to choose from. There is the list published in the Warmaster Trial Armies pdf or the list in the Warmaster Revolution Armies pdf. (These also are the two Wood Elves army lists in the Warmaster Army Selector online app.) I designed this new set of Wood Elves counters, which replaces my old set from 2002, to be compatible with both army lists.

Being a fan of the original Warmaster miniatures from the 1990's and early 2000's, which to me was the esthetic height of Warhammer's Old World, I have done my best whenever possible to use images of painted miniatures from that era. Of course, a couple units didn't exist back then but no problem. I've also included additional counters and units beyond the bare minimum, giving players as many choices as possible to customize the look of their paper armies

I hope you enjoy this counter set regardless which version of Warmaster or other miniature rules you play. Please leave your comments and questions below.


Printing the Counters
I hope you find these paper army sets useful. You can print them at places like Staples or Kinkos, using 110lb card stock paper printed at actual size. You can also print on regular paper and then glue the counters to wooden bases. (Check the older posts on how I did this with my Empire army.) Do not print the pdf to "fit margins." Always print at 100%.  I like printing the counter sets on good copy paper, spray gluing the dull side of a 'Silver Age' comic backing board with Super77, attaching a sheet to the board, and then cutting out the counters using a sharp Xacto knife with a steel ruler. Using the backing boards makes for cheap, sturdy counters. I like keeping the shiny side down to make moving them easier on a table. Note: This version is designed to fit Silver Age and larger comic backing boards.


Click on the counter set image above to download the complete army counter set in PDF format. The set has enough counters to create many armies of 2,000 points or less. Of course, if you need more counters simply print more copies! Unfortunately, I do not have any Wood Elves sample armies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.