Saturday, March 27, 2021

Normans Warmaster Ancients Paper Army

As the opening of the Normans entry in the Warmaster Ancients rulebook states, "Here is an army fit to conquer England. It is based upon that of Duke William and as such represents the Norman army of the second half of the 11th century." This is the 31st counter set I have made for the original fantasy version of Warmaster, Warmaster Revolution, and Warmaster Ancients core rulebook. It's been fun returning to historical armies. If you like these Normans, check out my Anglo-Saxon counter set.

Norman Warmaster Ancients Army List
The Warmaster Army Selector website lists all the armies in the Ancients core rulebook, so you can use it to create your own Norman army. I don't have any sample Norman armies to present, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out some.

I have also included a scan of the Normans page from the Ancients rulebook, listing all the army information and tactics. You can download it as pdf file by clicking its image to the right. The Normans take a single page in the rulebook, so that makes it easy! On his old Warmaster website, Rick Priestley did have an army list for Sicilian Normans (1035-1194), which is very different from the one presented here. Right now, I have no plans for that army.

Ancients Using Warmaster Revolution?
Also, if you do not own Warmaster Ancients and do not feel like rummaging around online for a copy, I would think the Warmaster Revolution rules would suffice because they merged the Ancients rules into the Fantasy rules. Don't quote me on this. I haven't done any comparisons. If anyone knows if using the Revolution rules would or would not work for Ancients armies, please leave a comment below.

Old Glory 10mm
10mm Norman Miniatures
For those looking to recreate a Norman army, here are a few suggestions in various scales. They are the usual suspects for 10mm. Let me know in the comments if I missed any 10mm Normans or what you think about them.


Old Glory Miniatures has 8 packs of 10mm Normans. Two of those pack are command, one mounted and the other foot. I'm not sure if William and Bishop Odo would be in there.

Magister Militum has a number of Norman packs, but their website always drives me nuts. I leave it to you to search for them!

Pendraken Miniatures, the perennial historical 10mm manufacturer, has 9 packs of Normans, one of which is a command pack.

Kallistra has six packs of Normans, one of which is a command pack. Of course, these are on the 12mm side.

I wanted to add a 15mm listing, but have run out of time tonight. That will be another post for another day.

Battle of Hastings in 10mm
If you want to see an excellent Battle of Hastings recreated in 10mm using Pendraken miniatures and the Warmaster Ancients rules, check out Dan Becker's website. He also gives a good historical overview of the battle and advice on painting Saxons and Normans in other scales as well. His page is from 2019. Tell him I said hi!

The troops are deployed. Let the battle begin!


Printing the Counters
Print the counter sheets at actual (100%) size. Do not print to "fit margins." You can cut the counters and then use them how you like. If printing on cardstock, for example, 110lb has worked well for me. You could also glue the counters onto wooden stands from Litko, giving them a miniatures feel. I sized this set so each page of counters will fit on a cheap 'Silver Age' comic backing board. Spray glue the sheet onto the backing board, and then cut out the counters using a sharp Xacto knife with a steel ruler. The counters will last a long time this way. However you do it, I hope you enjoy using this set of counters. Let me know what you think in the comments below.

 

Click on the counter set images below to download the the complete army counter set in PDF.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.